Friday, July 18, 2014

Parkour-It (post-it animation test #2)


Another animation test on post-its! The first attempt in the previous post was to just test the process of taking pics of the papers and compiling it on my phone, this one was to test the viability of more complicated animation.

(Nerdier animation stuff to follow, not for the faint of art)

The Method
I found that this animation method works well for the most part, but one limitation was that both apps I used could only compile everything on one set frame count, like just one 1's or just 2's. I can hold the frame, but even that has weird limits, so it's somewhat cumbersome if I want to get fancy by switching between 1's and 2's and 3's and 4's! (<-- makes me sound like an overzealous exercise instructor on a 1994 VHS).

The Apps
I wanted to rely only on apps so I could get an animation done anywhere, so long as equipped is a paper, pen, and my phone. So far I've only tried two iPhone apps.
OSnap - It's good because it allows for onion skinning and looping, but it's hard to edit individual frames (move them around, holding them for more frames, etc).
Stop Motion Studio - The editing and overall visualization of the animation is a lot more robust and refined, but it doesn't have looping options, and the onion skinning is somewhat limited.

If anyone has suggestions for a better app, please suggest away!

...

...BAH! I said "faint of art"... I make myself chuckle with mild amusement sometimes...

No comments:

Post a Comment